Ensemble Bomtempo and Orquestra de Câmara do Conservatório NacionalMusic
Largo da Graça
Como chegar Carris: 28E, 734
Free Admission, limited to available seating space:
631 seats; m/6
The Ensemble Bomtempo (students of the Escola Artística de Música do Conservatório Nacional) and the Orquestra de Câmara do Conservatório Nacional will perform a concert of the music of French composer Camillie Saint-Saëns, a child prodigy who, at the age of 10, gave his first concert and became an essential figure of the Romantic Era.
The Christmas Oratory is a work produced during his youth. Saint-Saëns was a scholar of music and also distinguished himself in other fields, such as in the study of French literature, Greek and Roman mythology and mathematics. He taught at the École de Musique Classique et Religiouse in Paris and became known for introducing his students to contemporaneous composers like Schuman, Liszt and Wagner.
The Christmas Oratory was composed in just 11 days and opened at the Église de la Madeleine in Paris, at Christmas of 1858. Although the initial prelude is dedicated to the musical style of J.S. Bach, of which Saëns was an enthusiast, the work itself does not follow the style of the German composer, resembling the lyricism of 19th-century French liturgical music, with a few pastoralist and plainsong touches. The Biblical texts used are from the Latin Vulgate and the Catholic Christmas Liturgy. This Oratory is divided into 10 movements for five soloists, choir, string orchestra, organ and harp.
This concert will take place at the historic Igreja Da Graça, whose foundations stretch back to the very beginnings of the Portuguese nation, specifically to the place where King Afonso camped with his troops during the siege of Lisbon in 1147.
Oratória de Natal Op. 12
1. Prelude (Dans le style de Séb. Bach)
2. Recit et Choeur: Et Pastores erant – Gloria (coro)
3. Air: Expectants expectavi Dominum (soprano)
4. Air et Choeur: Domine, ego credidi (tenor e coro)
5. Duo: Benedictus qui venit (soprano e baixo)
6. Choeur: Quare fremuerunt gentes (coro)
7. Trio: Tecum principium (soprano, tenor e baixo)
8. Quatour: Alleluja (soprano, soprano, contralto e baixo)
9. Quintette et Choeur: Consurge, Filia Sion (soprano, soprano, contralto, tenor, baixo e coro)
10. Choeur: Tollite hostias(coro)
Tantum Ergo Op. 5
Luís Mayer Godinho